New – .UK Domain Names
The release of the .uk domain name is the biggest change to the .uk domain since it began, opening up choice and huge opportunities for UK website owners. The .uk extension is concise and puts the focus on the company’s brand name to create a great first impression. This domain also provides a new space for online businesses to develop their identity and success and showcase these changes to their online community.
Order your .uk domain through your account or search HERE
Background to .uk domains
What is .uk?
.uk is the latest addition to Nominet’s series of United Kingdom domain extensions.
Sitting alongside .co.uk, .org.uk, and the rest of the UK family, .uk is the newest and shortest way to claim your space in the world’s biggest online economy.
Key dates and definitions
Launch date: 08:00hrs on 10 June 2014
The reservation period for existing customers who already have a .co.uk, .org.uk, .me.uk, .net.uk, .ltd.uk or .plc.uk runs up until 07:59hrs on 10 June 2019.
Domains registered before 23.59hrs on 28 October 2013 will have right to the equivalent new .uk domain, provided there was no other corresponding .co.uk, .org.uk, .me.uk, .ltd.uk, .plc.uk or .net.uk registered.
All .co.uk domains registered after 28 October 2013 and before the new .uk domains are launched will also have rights to the .uk equivalent, as long as there is no clash with any existing domains in the following situations:
Where there are two or more domains with the same website name, the .co.uk will be offered the .uk equivalent. Where there is no .co.uk, the .org.uk will be offered the new .uk equivalent. Where there is no .co.uk or .org.uk the .me.uk will be offered the new .uk equivalent.
Right to reserve
Nominet has defined rules for .uk domains which dictate who is entitled to them in various circumstances:
- New registrations of .co.uk domains made before 08:00hrs on 10 June 2014 (provided that no other equivalent .org.uk, .me.uk, .net.uk, ltd.uk or .plc.uk exists) will get the rights to the new .uk domain.
- After launch on 10 June 2014 any new registrations within the .uk family (e.g. in .co.uk, .org.uk etc.) no longer get automatic rights to register the new .uk domain. So these new .uk domains become available for anyone to register.
- Anyone wanting a new .uk domain, where there are no existing domains with rights, will simply be able to register the new .uk domain.
- Domains must be continuously registered to retain the rights to the new .uk – however, if a .co.uk with rights is not renewed between now and 10 June 2014, then it re-gains the right if it is re-registered prior to 10 June 2014.
- If a user has the right to register a new .uk domain then that right will move with the domain, if the user transfers their domain to another person, as long as it remains continuously registered.
- All rights to new .uk domains will cease if an existing domain is not renewed. For more information on .uk domains, visit the official .uk launch website.
.uk domains offer a fantastic range of benefits for website owners targeting a UK audience
Build a foundation of trust
Domains with the .uk extension are not only respected globally, but are the preferred choice of web users from England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, helping users to create a great first impression with visitors from these regions.
Snappy and concise
.uk is the shortest extension possible; it’s faster for smartphone and tablet users to type. This also gives the domain a punchy feel, puts a strong focus on the brand name and makes it highly memorable for users, increasing the chances for website owners to receive more traffic.
Compliments existing registrations
If a user already has a .co.uk, .me.uk, .org.uk, .or even .com, .net or .org domain name, a .uk sits perfectly with them and provides flexibility in terms of extra websites, URL shorteners, or redirects.
Protect personal or company names
Registering a .uk version of an existing domain name allows users to stay in control of their personal or company name, ensuring that squatters and competitors don’t take advantage or trade on that name.
Target the UK
A .uk domain helps website owners to strengthen their position and space in the UK market and for UK visitors whilst enjoying the authority that comes with using UK search engines.
Whether you’re launching a business or personal website, a .uk domain name is always a great option. This also means that if your business or project changes direction, your .uk will still be relevant.
http://www.dotuklaunch.uk – The official .uk launch website